Staff Review Process Guide
Staff Review Process Guide
The Terms and Conditions of the charter contract (Article III, Section 3.6) authorizes the Academy to employ or contract for personnel according to the position information outlined in Schedule 5 of the charter contract. Furthermore, the charter contract (Schedule 4, Oversight, Compliance and Reporting Agreement, Article II, Section 2.01) states that the Center may monitor and evaluate if the Academy is staffed with qualified personnel and that appropriate background checks have been conducted. Therefore, the Center conducts reviews of the Academy‘s/Educational Service Provider's (ESP) personnel records to ensure compliance with applicable law. Center staff will contact the Academy to establish a review date. The scope of the review will include teacher certification, compliance with No Child Left Behind Highly Qualified requirements, criminal background checks (State and Federal) and unprofessional conduct disclosure requirements. The timing of the reviews will be determined by the Center but will include prior notification to the Academy. Please review the resources on this web page in order to better understand the scope of the Center's staff review process. If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Wheaton at (989) 774-2100.CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:Teacher
The Academy must provide evidence of a valid Michigan teaching certificate or permit pertaining to the current teaching position.Administrator
The Center will review credentials to ensure all school administrators, as defined by Michigan Department of Education ("MDE"), meet the proper certification/state continuing education clock hours ("SCECHs") requirements. Those employed as administrators on or before
January 4, 2010, must complete the state's Record of Continuing Education Credits for School Administrators form. This form documents the continuing education requirement which is six semester credit hours and/or 180 SCECHs every five years. Those hired after
January 4, 2010, must either have an administrator certificate or be working towards one (enrolled in a program with six months of employment date and completing the program within three years).
Michigan Compiled Law ("MCL") Citations Related to Teacher Certification
Michigan Department of Education ("MDE") Certification Resources
NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND ("NCLB") REQUIREMENTS:
The NCLB requirements listed are from Section 1119
of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.Teacher
Teachers teaching core academic subjects must be highly qualified according NCLB. The Center will review the Highly Qualified Teacher Report Form to ensure it has been completed. Teachers must complete the form and the Academy must appropriately ensure that the teacher meets the highly qualified requirements.Paraprofessional
Paraprofessionals who provide instructional support in a program supported with Title I funds must have evidence of meeting the NCLB paraprofessional requirement.
Michigan Department of Education ("MDE") NCLB Resources
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK ("CBC") REQUIREMENTS:
The Academy must provide evidence of the following CBC documentation on all Academy personnel as required by law. The following documentation will be reviewed:
- CBC Release Date. The date the Academy personnel signed the CBC release form must be completed prior to employment. For a sample template, please click HERE.
- CBC Request Date. The date the Academy requested state and federal prints must occur prior to employment.
- CBC Results. State & Federal.
- Conditional Employment Release Date. The date the Academy personnel signed the Conditional Employment form must occur prior to employment. For a sample template, please click HERE.
- CBC Release of Fingerprints. If criminal background check results from a previous school district are on file, the employee must agree in writing to allow the sharing of results. In addition, the Academy must complete an ICHAT on the individual if results are used from a previous district. For a sample template, please click HERE.
MCL Citations Related to CBC Requirements
UNPROFESSIONAL CONDUCT DISCLOSURE ("UPC") REQUIREMENTS:
The Academy must provide evidence of the following UPC documentation on all Academy personnel as required by law. The following documentation will be reviewed:
- UPC Release Date. The date the Academy personnel signed the UPC release form must occur prior to employment. Please note that the release form must contain the required Bullard-Plawecki Right-to-Know Act language. For a sample template, please click HERE.
- UPC Request Date. The date the Academy requested UPC information from the employee's prior employer must occur prior to hire. For a sample template, please click HERE.
- UPC Results or Date of Second Request. The UPC results/response from the prior employer or evidence that the Academy has requested UPC information from the prior employer a second time.
MCL Citations Related to UPC Requirements
CENTER REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
Prior to the on-site review, the Academy will be asked to complete and submit an Academy Staff Roster
. For a copy of the required Roster template, please click HERE
. In addition, the Academy will be asked to submit a Class Schedule
and copy of the Academy’s MEIS report
. The required documents will be required to be submitted through AOIS.